In the news…
APEC Chile Delegate Raises Concerns around Systemic Barriers to Self-Employment for Australian Women
With 1.8 million under/unemployed Australians and only 250,000 available jobs, it’s timely that Global Sisters CEO, Mandy Richards, has been invited to speak at the Women and the Economy Forum at APEC Chile this week. Ms Richards discussed the systemic barriers faced by women who could otherwise pursue self-employment as a viable option, as well as some structural solutions that would greatly improve economic outcomes, employment and importantly, and start to break the cycle of poverty.
Ms Richards says there are a variety of reasons that women, are unable to participate in mainstream employment. “Women are often affected by external and structural barriers, especially those who are single mothers, primary carers or women over 50. Sadly, the flow on effect of this impact is rapidly increasing
homelessness amongst this demographic”.
- Global Sisters (GS) was founded in 2013 by Mandy Richards, who is based in Sydney.
- Our key supporters include the Citi Foundation, Myer Store, Department of Social Services and the Snow Foundation
- Our pro bono and low bono partners are Minter Ellison Law Firm, DPR Accountants, DDI Creative, Mahlab Media, AMBS (Website Development), HUB Australia, myEd, Evil Twin PR and LollyPotz.
- In the last two years, GS received 2000+ hours of pro bono support from our legal, accounting, audit, design, branding and photography partners valued at over $200,000.
- We currently have a team of sixteen (16) people across NSW, ACT, Victoria and the Philippines.